CAPESPAN's SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVES ARE MANAGED FROM WITHIN CAPESPAN GROUP CORPORATE SERVICES' CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (CSR) DIVISION.
Capespan CSR focuses on adding value to the lives of people and communities living and working in areas in which we operate, through implementing various Blue Hand initiatives, which include, but is not limited to social development, health- and educational programmes.
The CSR scope includes South African farms in which Capespan has a shareholding interest, rural agricultural communities in which the company operates, related industry areas and projects initiated by the company’s international offices/partners.
Some practical examples of initiatives that qualify for Blue Hand accreditation are: Educational Development:
- Capespan Export Producer Farms (Table Grapes/Stone/Pome/Citrus fruit) – renovations or upgrading of community facilities on farms, i.e. sanitation, ceilings, plastering of walls, floor leveling, windows, carpets, doors, painting, desks, or educational services and equipment to children of farm workers.
- Development of outdoor play areas for pre-school children
- Farm library facilities
- Construction or renovation of adult education and training/community centres in rural areas to promote and improve skill transfer delivery to farm labourers
- Life skills education and training programmes
- Local community peer educator group development: providing a support systems, which enables them to educate their peers on hygiene, other health-related practices and life skills to promote and improve the general health of the labour force on farms.
- Health education and annual events to highlight and train both permanent and migrant farm workers on various health-related issues and conditions.